Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Introduction

Hello everyone. I decided to make this blog to go through a step-by-step process of how recovery goes after having a Triple Arthrodesis. I was looking for something like this and really couldn't find a lot of information before surgery. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me know and I will answer them to the best of my ability. My surgery took place yesterday, 12-28-10, in Appleton, WI by Dr. Todd Derksen. I needed the surgery as I had a severely flat foot that became deformed and full of arthritis. My foot was turned out to the left and I consistently walked with a limp. I was in constant pain.

For my surgery I was given general anesthetic and a nerve block from my knee down. My surgery went well and much arthritis was cleaned out. I also had my calf lengthened to allow more up and down movement of foot after recovery. As I awoke from surgery, I was in no pain. I was however nauseous from the anesthetic. I let the nurse know and was given medicine that took care of that immediately. After about an hour I was very awake and was given juice and a snack. I was then allowed to leave. I am staying at my mothers for at least the first few weeks as I have a lot of stairs to get to my apartment and I basically need to be in bed with my leg up at all times. I need to ice for a half hour every 1-2 hours and I was given Percocet for the pain. The first night was not bad as there was no pain because of the nerve block. The leg is completely numb. Starting to try to get crutches down. Took one pain pill before bed just in case block began to wear off.


5 comments:

  1. Did they make you shave your leg? Who did your surgery? Be nice to your mom so you don't end up with ice down your backside. Remember, she can run faster than you now. Love you. Kerry B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if they shaved it or not. I will find out when they unwrap my foot and leg on Monday at my first check-up. Dr. Todd Derksen performed the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello.. just had triple arthrodesis.. did you feel pain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having "triple A" in October. You say the dr. lengthened your calf? My dr. (Marks) at Froedtert will be lengthening my Achilles tendon. He said expect a 3 hour surgery, overnight stay, then back to De Pere/ After 10 days, I will have to go back for xrays and a cast. I'd like to discuss this more with you via email. let me know. Thanks

    ReplyDelete